20 Days of Chill, why ask why?



Welcome back to 20 Days of Chill, today's prompt is "why ask why?" 

As a mother I have been spared from these excessive why questions. 



I think many kids just want to keep the conversation going and don't know what else to say other than "why?" and again "why?" and - my favorite "but, why?"
Instead there are a lot of other questions (how, when, what,..?) to ask that actually give you the opportunity to give a straight answer, unlike "dunno".

Let me give you an example:

"Mommy look, it's snowing!"
"Yeah, honey, it is! Isn't it pretty?"
"Why?"

OK, what are you gonna say to that? Maybe as a Mom I should be more careful about my own communication style. Let's try again:

"Mommy look, it's snowing!"
"Yeah, honey, it is! Isn't it pretty? Would you like to go outside and build a snowman?"
"Why?"

That didn't work either. Should I be mean and just turn it around?

"Mommy look, it's snowing!"
"Why?"

There! Point for me!



But I said there are kids who don't ask why too much - like my son, thank God - so a conversation with him as a toddler might have gone like this:

"Mommy look, it's snowing!"
"Yeah, honey, it is! Isn't it pretty?"
"How is snow made, Mommy?"
"Well, haven't you been reading my blog..?" Baahahahahaaaa!




OK, I give up, you get the picture, though, right?

Since Colin was little, he knew how to use Google. He actually tried to contribute some of his wealth of knowledge about Disney Cars to a Wikipedia article the other day ;-)))

Should we go into the "why not?" questions? They occur when parents deny the kid something they want: screen time, candy, prolonged curfew,... 




OK, I think it's enough. Is it happy hour already? 



Did you have fun? Yes? Why? Head over to read my fellow bloggers' answers .

Enjoy your weekend! On Monday be sure to come back for another episode, called guilty pleasures. This shall be interesting. 





Comments